Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Butterscotch Marshmallow Squares


‘Tis the season for Christmas baking, I am so excited! It is December 1st so I thought it would be ok to start posting massive amounts of sweet treats starting today!!


These are one of my all-time favorites!  I remember my grandma C. making them and bringing them over to our house on Styrofoam meat trays, that she would wash and save. Re-using meat trays is kind of gross now that I think about it, but at the time I was just happy she had made us a batch of these butterscotch marshmallow squares.

They couldn’t be easier you only need 5 ingredients,


½ cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 bag butterscotch chips
1 cup rice krispie cereal
1 bag mini colored marshmallows

In a pot over medium heat melt the butter, peanut butter and butterscotch chips together until smooth.
In a separate large bowl mix the marshmallows and rice krispies together.
Spray an 8X8 pan lightly with non – stick spray.
Once the butterscotch mixture is smooth, pour over the marshmallow mixture and stir to combine.
Pour the whole thing into the greased pan and press it into an even layer. Stash it in the fridge for an hour or 2 until it is firm enough to cut into squares.


Whenever I go over to my friend Mike’s place, he always says don’t bother coming unless you bring me a batch of the butterscotch squares! LOL!
I don’t blame him, they are super awesome. They are always the first thing to get eaten off my trays of Christmas baking!


Jen

3 comments:

  1. These are still my favourite dessert ever (after pie)! They are redonk. And my Grandma re-used styrofoam meat trays too!! She had tons of them in her basement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so freaking good that I made a batch at Christmas as usual, and just whipped up another batch tonight cause I was craving something sweet and salty, and these squares have got it covered!! Plus peanut butter anything is a major weakness!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe but I think I'll have to share half this batch with Dad cause I'll eat it all myself if I don't lol. Hugs to you for sharing this recipe with the world, Gramma would be SO proud <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother made these, her sister made them, only using chocolate chips. Then they switched half with each other. Cut and nicely placed on meat trays. I don't remember them swapping any other goodie. If you had not mentioned meat trays, I don't think I would have remembered, this really old tidbit. I will have to ask the other "kids" if they remember any other tales.

    ReplyDelete