Monday, December 19, 2011

OACB’s (Only at Christmas Brownies)


I have to tell you,  I have no idea why we only make these at Christmas and I also don’t know why they are called brownies, because they really aren’t!! My dad ALWAYS makes these at Christmas.

 
They are his specialty. We have a specific pot and a specific spoon we use to make them. One of us girls always preps the graham crackers, cherries and marshmallows, while Dad cooks the chocolate mixture.
It is just what we do!


They are super good! 

Here is what you need,


½ cup butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
¾ tsp. almond extract
Pinch of salt
4 cup mini white marshmallows
¾ cup cherries cut in half
15 full squares of graham cracker, broken into small chunks

In a large bowl combine the marshmallows, cherries and graham crackers, mix to combine.
In a pot over medium heat melt the butter, sugar, salt cocoa and eggs. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for exactly 1 minute. It will get quite thick and grainy looking, this is what you want!
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extract. Pour chocolate mixture over the marshmallow mixture and stir to coat.
Press the mixture into a 9x13 inch lightly greased glass baking dish.
Stash it in the fridge or freezer until it is fully cooled. You can put chocolate icing on them if you like; I think they are sweet enough without it! But whatever floats your boat!

Cut into small squares and scarf!

One time my dad used mint extract by accident, which I thought was grody cause mint and chocolate makes me gag, but he really liked it! We just made a separate batch for me! So use whatever you like!


So there you go my Dad’s Only at Christmas Brownies, that aren’t brownies at all!
Enjoy!

Jen

1 comment:

  1. Oh my GOSH. I've never seen anything like this. I bet they are addictive!

    ReplyDelete