Sunday, March 4, 2012

Slow Cooker White Bean Stew with Kielbasa, Tomatoes and Spinach


I am kind of obsessed with my slow cooker right now. I love that you toss a bunch of stuff in it, turn it on and walk away. Then 8 hours later you have a perfect dinner! Nothing to it!
I am always on the lookout for good slow cooker recipes. When I saw this one I knew I had to make it right away!


Simple ingredients and amazingly tasty! We loved it!



What you need,
 

2 cups dried small white beans (I used great northern white beans)
1 onion, diced
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1tsp. dried thyme
6 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 large can diced tomatoes
14 oz. kielbasa sausage, cut into half-moons slices
4 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving

Rinse the beans with cold water and pick them over for broken ones. Add the beans to the slow cooker. Add in the chopped onion and garlic, sausage and spices. Pour the can of tomatoes and chicken stock on top and stir to combine.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours. I let mine go for 9 hours. The beans were perfect soft but still held their shape.

When the beans are cooked to your liking stir in the chopped spinach and stir. You can turn the heat up too high for a few minutes, it really only takes about 5 minutes for the spinach to wilt. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve in a big bowl with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Oh and a nice big slice of rustic bread! 


This stew was amazing. So comforting! I would make it again in a heartbeat!
As an added plus it made great left overs!

Jen

Recipe from Kalyn’s Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment