Monday, March 17, 2014

“Just Like Mom Used To Make” Tuna Melts

Growing up I was lucky enough to be able to go home for lunch. Our schools were always close enough that we had time to walk home, eat, watch the Flintstones then head back to school.



My mom worked shift work so sometimes my dad made us lunch, sometimes we made our own lunch but when mom was home she made us lunch.
Her tuna melts were always one of my favorites.


What you need,

1 can of flaked tuna in water, drained well
½ can of cream of mushroom soup
1 green onion, sliced thinly
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 slices of Old Cheddar Cheese
2 soft hamburger buns split in half

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lay the bun halves on a sheet pan.

In a bowl combine the tuna, mushroom soup, green onion. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide the tuna mixture between the bun halves. Top each bun with 2 slices of cheddar cheese.

Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or so, until the tuna mixture is hot and bubbly and the bun is toasty.

I like to put the melts under the broiler for 2-3 minutes at the end just too really melt that cheese.

Serve with a side salad and you have a perfect lunch.



These tuna melts are still one of my favorite lunches. They are so creamy and perfect.

Thanks Mom!


Jen

2 comments:

  1. I made these today for my husband and I for lunch. They were awesome! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are known as tuna buns in our family . My grandma would make them - but with no cheese. And she would use little skinny rolls for which I can not think of the name rather than hamburger buns. We ate industrial quantities of these growing up. Usually with some celery sticks and plain potato chips on the side.

    ReplyDelete