Sunday, January 15, 2017

Stocking The Freezer

I don't know about you guys but January is kicking my butt! I am just having a really hard time getting back into the swing of things.
I always find post Christmas a little hard but for some reason this year is a real struggle...

So I decided to do a few things to make my life a little easier starting with stocking the freezer with some quick easy meals. We all know that working all day then coming home and having to feed the family is always a struggle.
These few simple things can be made in big batches and frozen to make a variety of meals later.

I didn't want to feel overwhelmed by making ALL the things at once so I am doing one item each Sunday. That way it feels more manageable.

Here are a few of my favorite freezer meal ideas.


First up was Pulled Pork. Who doesn't love pulled pork! It has a couple steps but mostly its hands off, since you cook it in the slow cooker.
Here are a few ideas for pulled pork... the classic piled high on a bun topped for coleslaw, Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese is always a winner, and my favorite, Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos.

Meatballs are a GREAT freezer meal. Make a huge batch then divide them into meal sized portions. The classic Spaghetti and Meatballs is always a good start, but there are so many options. Sweet & Sour Meatballs over rice, Meatballs smothered in creamy mushroom sauce on noodles and my favourite Meatball Subs.

Chili is really great as far as freezer meals go. Make a double batch of your favourite chili then freeze it in meal sized portions in freezer bags.
Just take a portion out of the freezer the night before and heat it up in a pot on the stove for dinner. Serve with sour dough bread and a salad and you have dinner in less than 15 minutes.
A big old batch of Chili Cheese fries or Chili Cheese Dogs would be a hit with both little and big kids!

Spaghetti Sauce is a very versatile freezer meal. I love this Crock Pot Sauce, it is my go to. Make a double batch and you will have 4 or 5 meals all ready for the freezer.

I really like to cook up a big batch of Taco meat and freeze it in meal sized portions. I use this homemade seasoning mix and the taco meat turns out perfect every time.
I like to use it for things like Nachos or Burritos or even in a taco style pasta bake.

Make a batch of your favorite soup and freeze it up! I love this Chicken Tortilla Soup. It is hearty and warm and it freezes really well. You can freeze it supper sized portions or smaller lunch sized portions for those days you really don't know what to take to work for lunch.

I often NEED a little something sweet and dont' always have time to make something so putting a few sweet treats in the freezer is a really good idea!


A batch of Blueberry Muffins is a good thing to have in the freezer. Wrap them up individually in saran wrap and keep them in a large zip lock bag. That way you can grab one for breakfast or a snack. Any muffins you like would be great in the freezer!

Cookies are my go to treat... These Peanut Butter Cookies are my favorite! You can freeze them after they are cooked or roll the dough into balls and freeze them to cook later, for those times you need a WARM cookie!
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies are a good option too, again freeze them cooked for a super fast treat or freeze the raw dough for that gooey treat on a random Wednesday night!

I would love to hear some of your favorite freezer meal ideas. I am always looking for new recipes so feel free to share!

I am hoping these easy meal ideas help me get back into the swing of things.

Enjoy!



Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment