Monday, August 15, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Buttermilk Cake

I am very fond of blueberries, well let’s be honest, I like all berries really! The local blueberries are in all their glory right now so I always try to use as many as possible while I can. These are the ones I bought at the farmer's market the other day.

 
This blueberry lemon buttermilk cake is heavenly! I love the tartness of the lemon with the sweet berries. They cake is soft and moist but the top has a thin super crispy crust on top, it is lovely!


You could make some whipped cream to go with it, but really you don’t need it. I could just eat this whole cake with a fork all on its own. I guess that is why all my pants are too tight!!

Here is what you need,


1 cup all purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar, plus 1 ½ tbsp. for sprinkling on top
½ tsp vanilla
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 egg
½ cup buttermilk
5 oz fresh blueberries

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and move the rack to the middle position. Spray an 8 inch round pan with cooking spray and line with wax paper, then spray the wax paper.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; Set aside.
Beat the butter and 2/3 cups sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest, Mix well. Add in the egg and blend well.  On low speed, add in the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 additions. Mix until just combined. Fold in the blueberries with spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth off the top. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 ½ tbsp of sugar.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until cake is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.


Serve as is with a fork, or add a little sweetened whipped cream; even a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream would be good.


This is a perfect summer dessert. It would also be a great addition to any brunch. It is so light and tasty.

Enjoy!
Jen

recipe from Tasty Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. My version of heaven is complete only with a side of lemony-blueberry goodness. That combination makes me so very happy. This is a lovely cake, Jen. The photos make it look so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen this looks just yummy ! I love blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay JennyB, these desserts are going to seriously cause damage to my dress size, but i have to try this!! I don't have any blueberries so I'm gonna get some to make this. I do have raspberries though, I wonder if that berry substitution would work? I'll be dreaming of this one tonight!! Great job it looks so good I can taste it!!

    ReplyDelete