Thursday, August 11, 2011

Watermelon Mojito


It has finally been sunny and warm here in Vancouver, about time!
There is nothing better than coming home from work on a Friday and having a nice cool refreshing cocktail out on the balcony.


I love Mojitos, a lot!  I thought I would spiff up my usual Friday cocktail.
I had a lovely watermelon and figured I could puree some up and add it to my usual mojito mix. It ended up being super tasty. The watermelon added a really nice sweetness but it still has the refreshing taste of the mint and lime.


What you need,

3 cups watermelon, cubed
12 mint leaves
2 tbsp fine sugar
6 tbsp fresh lime juice
6 oz of white rum
Soda Water
Lime and Mint for garnish

Makes 4 normal sized drinks, or 2 BIG ones!

Puree the watermelon in a blender and then press through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and pulp. You will end up with a lovely red juice! In a large pitcher add the mint leaves, sugar and lime juice. Now muddle together to break up the mint and release its juice. Add in the rum and stir to combine until all the sugar is mostly dissolved. Add in the watermelon juice.
Stash in the fridge until cold. 


When you are ready to serve pour the Mojito mix into a glass and top with a splash of soda water. Add as much as you like, I like just enough to make it fizzy. Garnish with a wedge of lime and a sprig of fresh mint.
Instead of regular ice cubes I froze cubed watermelon until it was hard, and then just used those to keep my drink cool. That way your drink won’t get watered down and you can eat the lovely watermelon bits after. 


Have a cocktail, enjoy the weather!
Happy Weekend everyone!

Jen

1 comment:

  1. THIS LOOKS GREAT! I ALWAYS HAVE A GIANT WATERMELON AND NEVER KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT ALL! THIS IS A FAR CRY FROM THE DAYS MY FRIENDS AND I INJECTED BOOZE INTO A WATERMELON THEN ATE THE SLICES UP FOR A BUZZ! NICE WAY TO DO IT CLASSY! I WILL ENJOY THESE! GREAT IDEA JENNYB!

    ReplyDelete