Thursday, May 19, 2011

Greek Pita Tostadas

I love Greek food as I am sure you all noticed.  I have previously posted Chicken KebabsTzatziki and Hummus.

This is a different spin on a Greek supper. It was really easy and super tasty.


Here is what you need,

1 lb lean ground chicken or turkey would work fine too.
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp oregano leaves, dried
4 flat Greek pitas
4 cups of lettuce, chopped
1 cup English cucumber, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 green onions, chopped
½ cup feta cheese crumbled
¼ cup kalamata or black olives, optional
¼ cup Greek salad dressing, you could make your own but I used the Kraft Greek with feta stuff it was tasty.
Tzatziki sauce or Hummus, optional

Heat your oven to 400 degrees.

Cook the ground chicken in a non-stick skillet over medium heat for 12-15 minutes until completely cooked through, stirring frequently. Add in the garlic and oregano for the last 10 minutes. Once it is done keep warm.

Place the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green onion, feta cheese and olives in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing right before serving.

Toast the pitas in the oven for about 2 minutes per side until just browned and warmed through.

Put a pita on your plate.

Spread on some tzatzki or hummus if you like. I bought the tzatzki this time it was a weeknight so I didn’t have time to make my own. Hummus would also be super tasty.
Layer on the cooked chicken.
 Then top with the salad.

SO SO good!
It is just a nice change. I can't wait to make this again with a batch of my own hummus.

Jen



4 comments:

  1. Yum, I love greek pitas! Another easy marinade for the chicken is a tbsp of olive oil, juice of a lemon, tbsp of the finely grated lemon rind, pepper, and tbsp or so(I eyeball it) of oregano! 10-15 mins is enough to let it marinate in the fridge and bam, cook it in the oven, bbq, mini george foreman. Now I just have to make you hummus and tatziki and it will be perfecto!! Yum got my weekend super thanks JB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know isn't greek food the best! it is perfect for summer cause it is mostly no cook!! thanks for the marinade, gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just realized that you have pretty much used the marinade back in your other greek chicken post. I just dont' get as fancy with the spices, so yours is probably better!! I didn't realize till just know that you use ground chicken.

    ReplyDelete