Monday, December 1, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


I have always been a fan of the classic broccoli cheddar soup. When I order it in a restaurant it has a tendency to be really rich and thick and often gummy.


I decided to search the World Wide Web and find myself a really really good broccoli cheddar soup recipe.
After much searching I decided to try the Brown Eyed Bakers recipe, it just felt right.

WOW, just WOW‼ This recipe is awesome. The soup is hearty and creamy but not too rich and the best part is it isn’t thick and goopy!
There is a ton of fresh broccoli flavor and it is perfectly cheesy! 


Another Brown Eyed Baker winner‼

What you need,

½ cup butter (I used salted as always!)
1 small onion, finely diced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
2 cups half and half
4 large heads of broccoli, chopped into small bite sized pieces (this works out to be about 6 good cups of chopped broccoli)
Pinch of nutmeg
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups low sodium chicken broth

In a large soup pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Sprinkle the flour over the sautéed onion, stir for 1 minute.

Slowly whisk in the milk and half and half. Season the soup at this point with a pinch of nutmeg, salt and a good amount of freshly cracked black pepper.

Add the broccoli. Cover the pot and reduce to medium low. Cook for 20 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.

I used my immersion blender at this point to puree the soup just a little bit. I wanted some good pieces of broccoli left in the soup so I just did a few passes with the blender. You can puree it as much as you like!

Stir in the cheese a handful at a time until it is fully melted.
Add the broth and stir to fully combine. Heat the soup for another 10 minutes until totally warmed through.

Adjust the seasoning to your taste!

Serve piping hot.


This soup, I can’t even… it was so darned good. What a great comfort food dinner.
The left over soup re-warmed really well for lunch the next day.

I will for SURE be making this soup again and again and again!

Thank you Brown Eyed Baker for another totally amazing recipe.

Enjoy!


Jen


Recipe from the fabulous Brown Eyed Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment