Monday, April 16, 2012

Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars


In my never ending quest for a mid-day snack I came across these lovely granola bars on Michelle’s site. I just love her, she has the BEST recipes.
 

These looked so amazing, I knew I had to try them. I am so glad I did because they are so freaking good!!
They are soft and chewy. They taste just like the old school Quaker Chewy Oatmeal Bars, only better.

It took all of 10 minutes to whip up a batch. I know I will be making them on a regular basis. 


What you need,

1/3 cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
4 tbsp. butter (the recipe called for unsalted, but I used salted, it was fine)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup rice cereal
3 tbsp. mini chocolate chips

Start by greasing an 8 inch square baking dish, set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together the oats and rice cereal. 

In a small saucepan melt the butter, brown sugar and honey together over medium high heat. Once the mixture begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. 

Pour the mixture over the oats and cereal and stir to coat well. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. Be sure to pack the mixture pretty tightly into the pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the bars and gently press them into the top.

Cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours or until the chocolate chips are set up. I put mine in the freezer for about 20 minutes before I cut them just to make sure they were set up really well. Cut into bars and store in an airtight container.


I find the problem with homemade granola bars is that they are often really crumbly. Not these ones, they stay together and yet they are still soft and chewy.
The perfect granola bar!

Jen


1 comment:

  1. These are some of the best looking bars I have seen. You're right, they always seem to look and turn out so crumbly and dry. While, they might still be delicious, they are definitely more granola, less bar. These really do look like the granola bars I remember. I wonder if it's the rice cereal that makes the difference?

    ReplyDelete