Monday, June 16, 2014

Rhubarb Muffins


Every year at this time I go crazy with the rhubarb. The season is pretty short so I try use as much as I can before it is gone for another year.  I always start with a couple of good old rhubarb crisps before I start making anything else, they are my absolute favorite!


These rhubarb muffins are a close second. They are moist and sweet with a little crunchy topping. They are the perfect muffin to have with a cup of coffee in the morning. You can also turn them into a nice dessert; just serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, delish!


What you need,

2 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
2½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt (I skipped the salt and used salted butter instead)
1 cup sour cream
½ cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups diced rhubarb

3 tbsp. granulated sugar + ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
Combine in a small bowl to use for topping the muffins.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees and place the rack in the middle position. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside. I ended up with 16 muffins so I had to use 2 muffins tins.

In a bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt if you are using it.

In a large bowl beat the sour cream, melted butter, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold gently until they are just combined. Stir in the rhubarb, don’t over mix.

Divide the batter between the muffin tins; sprinkle each muffin with the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Bake for 18-22 minutes until they start to turn golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan then transfer to a rack to cool completely.  I suggest you make a cup of coffee and eat one warm, they are insanely good warm‼

Store for up to a week in an airtight container, or you can freeze them up to a month.


I love rhubarb season so much. I have to get some extra to chop up and put in the freezer so sometime in the winter when I need a crisp or these amazing muffins I can whip up a batch!

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking

1 comment:

  1. These look great! I love anything with rhubarb. Love the crumb topping too!

    ReplyDelete