Sunday, January 31, 2016

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies



I know we are all just recovering from the holidays but I just really needed some cookie therapy today. 


I not only love to eat ALL the cookies but I love baking them.  There is something very therapeutic about the cookie making process for me.

It has been very dark and grey and rainy here for the last couple weeks and these cookies were a great pick me up!


What you need,

1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 lg. egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt (I used salted butter as usual so I left the salt out)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1½ cup quick cooking oats

Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and beat for 30 seconds until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla.

In a bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt (if you are using it), cinnamon and nutmeg.

Add it to the butter mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
Add the oats and mix until just combined.

Scoop the dough by the heaping tablespoon full onto the prepared pan.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown around the edges. Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes on the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.


These cookies are so simple but so delicious! The inside of the cookies are chewy and wonderful and the outsides are crisp and crunchy. Just the way I love my cookies.

I love the warmth of the spices in these cookies, it isn’t overwhelming but it is a nice subtle flavor, the cookies wouldn’t be nearly as good without it.
  
So if you are like me and need a little cookie therapy, I highly suggest you make these lovely cookies. You won’t be disappointed, I promise!

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe from and old recipe card I found in my mom’s recipe box

No comments:

Post a Comment