Sunday, August 26, 2012

Cactus Cut Potatoes


I don’t eat at Boston Pizza very often, but when I do I always get the Cactus Cut Potatoes. They are crispy and spicy and they come with the most amazing dip. My brother in law found a copycat recipe online for the dip so I gave it a whirl.


It is perfect!! This dip is to die for; it tastes just like the stuff at BP!
I decided to bake my potatoes instead of frying them, just to cut the fat a wee bit.


What you need,

For the dip:
6 tbsp. sour cream
1 cup Caesar salad dressing (I used Kraft creamy Caesar)
1 ½ tbsp. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 ½ tbsp. finely chopped green onion
¼ tsp. dried chili flakes (if you like it spicy you could add in a little more)

For the potatoes:
2 large russet potatoes, washed and sliced thinly
3 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste.

In a medium bowl mix together the sour cream, Caesar dressing, Parmesan cheese, green onion and chili flakes.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let the flavours come together.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Grease 2 baking sheets.
Toss the sliced potatoes with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Lay out the slices on the baking sheets in a single layer leaving a little space between each slice.
Bake for 8-10 minutes on the first side, until golden, then flip and cook another 8-10 minutes until golden on the second side. I got mine a little crispier than I should have so watch them close.

Serve hot with the dip.


Thank you Ryan, for finding this recipe, it is so good.
I know I am going to be making it WAY too often.

Jen


32 comments:

  1. ok! now i make potato's like this often but didn't have the dip! omg the dip! i am gaining weight thinking about it! damn u did it again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a tip for everyone. The actual cactus cuts are soaked in jalapeño juice before baked/fried. Try it, makes this recipe absolutely delish!

      Delete
    2. I didn't know that! I knew the potatoes were spicy but I didn't know they used Jalapeno juice. Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. Great recipe plan girly, I totally eat the crap out of it all the time! My doctor says that i should stop but its like a drug! One bite and you're sucked in for life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you be so kind and share a link to other resources that open up this topic of course if you know any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question about the quantity. I'm having a potluck Sunday and we're going to be 8 people. So do I need to double or triple the recipe? Were gonna be 3 girls and 5 guys and they loved it when we ate at BP last time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I would say double the recipe for sure for 8 people. I am sure you are having other food too so doubling it should give you lots! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone seems to like this recipe so you could leave it the way it is published but...
    I worked at a Boston Pizza for 9 years and every post seems to have the quantity of sour cream and caesar dressing backwards.
    When we made it the quantity was as follows:
    32 ounces of sour cream
    16 ounces of caesar dressing (it has to be a very creamy, strong parm caesar dressing)the closest I have found to Bp's caesar dressing surprisingly has been Walmart's generic brand
    1 cup of parm
    1 cup of fine chopped green onion
    1 ounce dried chilli flakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the dip recipe. Could you please share the cactus cut potatoes recipe as well? My kids absolutely love them. I am also looking for the pomodoro sauce and chipotle sauce. You would make my life in the kitchen so much easier! :)
      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Firstly thanks for posting that version of the dip, I will have to try those portions and see how it works.

      I posted the way I made the potatoes above, I am not sure how Boston Pizza really does it, I am sure their potates are fried not baked. Sorry I can't be more help there. I did find my version was crisp and tasty!

      Delete
    3. The potatoes come in frozen, they are just thin sliced potatoes soaked in jalapeno juice, and the pomodoro sauce comes in already made. The chipotle sauce is mayo and chipotle seasoning.

      Delete
  7. Jen, where to you buy jalapeno juice from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I am not sure if you can buy jalapeno juice?? I didn't use it to make my potatoes.
      Someone did comment that Boston Pizza uses it at the resturant but I am not sure really. Sorry! I found the way I made them worked perfectly and tasted great!

      Delete
  8. I ended up buying a jar of jalapeno and used the juice from it. We use them anyway, so not a waste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how long does a person soak the potatoes for? the jar of jalapenos that I have is small, so can I add cold water to make enough to soak more potatoes in?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would that be desicated Parmesan or would reggiano taste better?

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is terrible they look bad lawl xD

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dip was incredible, waas a little short on the Caesar dressing. Used my wonderful air fryer to cook the potatoes. Yum. Who cares if you can't go out when you can eat like this at home.

    ReplyDelete