Sunday, August 5, 2012

Canadian Bacon Strata


I love any meal you can totally prepare in advance. When I saw this recipe in Martha Stewart’s “Fresh Flavour Fast Cookbook” I stuck a post-it note on it, I knew it wouldn’t be long before I made it.


It is kind of reminds me of this Wife Saver Breakfast Bake recipe, which is a family favourite. Honestly I think I like this one better, so much flavour! Even the left overs were awesome.


What you need,

4 English muffins, split, toasted and cut into half moons
10-12 slices of Canadian Bacon, cut into half moons
1 ¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 large eggs
3 cups milk (I used 1%)
4 ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
¼ tsp. hot sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste

Start by buttering an oval casserole dish. Arrange the toasted English muffins cut side down alternating with the Canadian bacon until the dish is full.
Sprinkle the cheeses evenly over the top.

In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, hot sauce, ¼ tsp. salt and a pinch of fresh ground pepper. Pour the mixture over the cheese.
Wrap the dish tightly with saran wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet and bake for 1½ hours until golden brown and puffed. The custard will be set in the middle.
If it begins to get too brown you can loosely cover it with foil part way through cooking. I didn’t need too; the top brown crispy bits are the best in my personal opinion.

Let the strata sit for 10 minutes before serving.


Serve with some fresh fruit or a lovely salad; it makes a perfect brunch or dinner.


I will be making this again for sure! It was fabulous.
Enjoy!

Jen


1 comment:

  1. totally awesome long weekend food. I love the use of english muffins!

    ReplyDelete