Friday, July 29, 2016

Cheeseburger Macaroni



Back in my 20’s my cooking repertoire consisted of fish sticks, grilled cheese and Kraft dinner. Occasionally I would get super fancy and buy a box of Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper… I really liked it! Listen don’t judge!


As I started cooking more and more the boxed stuff just didn’t do it for me anymore. I started making my own version of the classic. This version is SO much better! Plus you can customize the seasoning to you taste, which I love.


So here it is… my version of Cheeseburger Macaroni.

What you need,

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups milk (I used 1%)
1 ½ cups macaroni noodles
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. season salt
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste
1½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the ground beef until it is browned and cooked through. Drain off any excess fat.

Add the chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions begin to soften.

Into the milk, whisk in the cornstarch, garlic powder, season salt, paprika, cayenne and sugar.

Stir the macaroni noodles into the beef mixture and cook for a minute or so. Add the chicken stock and the milk mixture, stir to combine.

Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Cover the pan and let it cook for 10-12 minutes or until the noodles are tender.

Turn the heat off and add the cheese, a little at a time until it is all incorporated.

Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve right away with a nice green salad.


This makes a super quick weeknight meal that is sure to please all your hungry people!

It also re-heats really well for lunch the next day, which is always a good thing in my book.

Enjoy!

Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment