Monday, December 17, 2012

Schwartz’s Hashbrowns



I have no idea who Schwartz is, but his hashbrowns are AH-MAZING!

We used to have this dish for Christmas morning breakfast. It is great because you can make it the day before then when you get up to open presents you toss it in the oven and it bubbles away for a 90 minutes, plenty of time to get through all those gifts!


We usually served it with some fried ham and some fresh fruit.


These potatoes are rich and creamy and sooooooo delish!
The crispy top is my favourite!

What you need,

1 bag frozen hashbrowns, the small cubed kind
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
¼ cup melted butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Thaw the hashbrowns in the bag on the counter for about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl stir together the sour cream, mushroom soup, butter and cheddar cheese.
Fold in the hash browns until coated.
Put the hashbrowns in a large baking dish and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
Cover with tin foil.

Now you can stash it in the fridge overnight if you want or you can cook it right away.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour to 90 minutes. If you cook it right away an hour is probably lots, straight out of the fridge will take more like 90 minutes.
Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking to brown up the top.
I always turn on the broiler for 3 or 4 minutes at the end, to really crisp up the top, since that is my favourite part!

Serve hot.


There you have it, a perfect Christmas morning breakfast.
Plus, after it is cooked, the oven is all pre-warmed and ready for that Christmas Turkey!!

Enjoy!

Jen

I really don't know where this recipe came from, we have been making it for years!!

5 comments:

  1. Its a good 'ol recipe from the "Bridges" cookbooks! Yum! I assume since you made these recently it isn't going to be your xmas morning breaky! What you having?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG an ultimate favorite here!!!! I must make them like tomorrow lol. I first had them at Bobbi's many many too many years ago and yep its a Best of Bridges alright!! Can you still buy those cookbooks I wonder?? Maybe I should make this for Christmas brunch!! I want them right now though lol. Sooo rich but sooo good. I love that you posted this recipe JennyB cause I have not thought about them in a long time!!! Another great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gahh those security filter thingies are getting so hard to read for me then Savanna sidles over and is all super fast and correct. Yeesh I am getting old. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought (Hash Browns) Rissoles...are they the best for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I freeze Schwartz's before it is cooked

    ReplyDelete