Sunday, September 27, 2015

Macadamia Nut Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies



I went to visit my sister last week. I always bake something to take when I go and I always try to make something different.  I have been dying to try my Dad’s shortbread recipe forever. Normally we just make them at Christmas but I couldn’t wait. Since my sister loves Maui I thought I would put a little island spin on them with the addition of Macadamia nuts.


They turned out amazing! The nuts were toasted and crunchy; the tiny chocolate chips complemented the nuts perfectly. The shortbread itself is a dream… it just melts in your mouth!


These cookies were beyond amazing!



What you need,

½ cup cornstarch
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup butter, at room temperature
¼ cup icing sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
½ cup mini chocolate chips

In a bowl cream the butter and both sugars.  Stir in the flour and cornstarch until totally combined. Fold in the macadamia nuts and chocolate chips.

Place the dough on a large piece of saran wrap. Roll into a log about 2 inches in diameter.  Put the dough log into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

When you are ready to bake the cookies, heat the oven to 300 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.

Slice the cookies with a sharp knife about ¼ inch thick. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days. I guarantee these cookies won’t last that long! They also freeze really well.


I will be making these again for sure. As my brother in law said, they taste like Christmas and Maui all in one! What could be better than that‼?

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe adapted from my Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment