Sunday, September 20, 2015

Zucchini Apple Muffins


A few weeks ago my in house taste tester’s boss gave him 2 HUGE zucchini.
I made a classic chocolate zucchini cake of course, it is my all-time fav! Then I froze a ton of pre-grated stuff to use in the winter.


I saved out just enough to make this recipe I saw on Two Peas & their Pod. They always have GREAT muffin recipes.  These are no exception.


They are tender and moist and full of apple. Absolutely delicious!

What you need,

2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup brown sugar
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground all spice
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup applesauce (I used sweetened)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup grated granny smith apple
½ cup grated zucchini
1 cup peeled and chopped granny smith apple

For the topping,
2 tbsp. sanding sugar
½ tsp. ground cinnamon

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a couple of muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and all spice. 
In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, applesauce, oil, egg and vanilla extract. 
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix with a spatula until just mixed.  Gently stir in the grated zucchini, grated apple and apple pieces.  Do not over mix!

Divide the batter between the muffin cups.

In a small bowl stir together the sugar and cinnamon topping.
Sprinkle a little of the topping on each muffin.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool completely on a rack.
These muffins are great same day but they also freeze really well! Just wrap each muffin in saran wrap then place them into a large zip top bag.


These muffins are fantastic! I think they make it onto my top 10 favourite muffin recipes.

I love that they freeze so well. I can just pull one out of the freezer in the morning and toss it into my lunch and it makes a perfect mid-morning snack.



I am very glad I have lots of frozen zucchini so I can make these all winter long!

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe adapted slightly from Two Peas & Their Pod

1 comment:

  1. These look so moist and delicious! I wish I had one right now!

    ReplyDelete