Saturday, September 10, 2016

Apple Crisp



Last week when we went to the store, I sent my in house taste tester over to the fruit section to pick up some apples.
This is what he picked…


Could this apple be any bigger?? So now it is a week later and I still have 4 of these GIANT apples in the fridge.

Since it seems to have turned over to Fall this week I decided I could use my mega apples to whip up a classic Fall dessert… Apple Crisp.


I love the soft tender apples mixed with lots of cinnamon and a little sugar. A crunchy oat and brown sugar mixture for the top and you have yourself one delicious dessert.


What you need,

4 cups of peeled, chopped apples
¼ - ½ cup of granulated sugar (adjust the sugar depending on how sweet or tart your apples are.
2 heaping tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1 heaping teaspoon of ground cinnamon

½ cup softened butter
2 tbsp. flour
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup oats
½ tsp. ground cinnamon

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Toss the chopped apples with the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Place them in a baking dish.

In a medium bowl mix the topping. Using a fork cut the flour and sugar into the butter until just crumbly. Add the oats and cinnamon and stir until it comes together in little lumps.

Pile the topping onto the apples.

Bake for 50-60 minutes until the apples are soft and tender and the topping is brown and crisp.

Serve warm or cold, with or without ice cream or heavy cream!


This classic Fall dessert has always been one of my favorites.
I love anything with apples and cinnamon!

From now on, I think I will always let Dave get the apples… that way I will always have an excuse to make a yummy crisp!

Enjoy!

Jen



1 comment: