Monday, December 12, 2011

Whipped Shortbread Cookies


These buttery little cookies were always on our Christmas baking list when I was young. My mom always made them with a half a cherry on top! I did a few like that, but they are good with sprinkles too!

 
They are WAY easy and super tasty. They literally just melt in your mouth! 


Here is what you need,


1 cup butter, softened but not too warm!
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup icing sugar
Halved cherries or sprinkles for decorating

In the bowl of a stand mixer, you could do this by hand but the mixer sure makes easy work of it!
Combine the butter, flour and icing sugar and mix on medium high speed for 10 minutes, until the mixture is very light and fluffy!
Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your baking sheets with silpat mats.
Scoop the dough by the heaping tablespoon onto the baking sheets. Press a cherry half on top of each one or shake on some sprinkles.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until the bottoms are just starting to turn light golden brown.
Cool completely on a rack.
Store in an airtight container. I keep mine in the freezer and just pull out as many as I need about 30 minutes before serving! 


The perfect Christmas cookie!

Jen

2 comments:

  1. Jen
    How long can you freeze these for?
    Thanks,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelly! I think if you wrapped them well and put them in an airtight container they would be ok for a couple of months. They never last very long at my house but I am sure I have had them in there over a month before and they have been fine.

    ReplyDelete