Wednesday, March 7, 2012

“New York Times” Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have been on a quest for the PERFECT chocolate chip cookie recipe.
 
You may remember, I first made these America’s Test Kitchen chocolate chip cookies.
Man they were tasty, you use brown butter, and really how can you go wrong! Delish!
Then I made the classic Old School chocolate chip cookies. They are soft and buttery and awesome.

For the third option I decided to try this recipe from My Baking Addiction, via the New York Times.


For this recipe you have to make the dough at least 24 hours in advance and let it rest in the fridge. Which seemed weird to me, I mean lots of dough needs to be chilled but the recipe explicitly said you have to wait at least 24 hours, they just aren’t as good if you don’t.
So I waited, for what seemed like forever!


Let me tell you, it was SO worth the wait. These cookies are CRAZY GOOD!

What you need,

I used my kitchen scale for this recipe it was very handy!

2 cups minus 2 tbsp. cake flour (8 ½ oz.)
1 2/3 cups bread flour (8 ½ oz.)
1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. coarse salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 ¼ cup butter (I used salted butter so I cut my salt down to just ½ tsp.
1 ¼ cup light brown sugar (10oz)
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. granulated sugar (8oz)
2 large eggs
1 ¼ pounds bittersweet chocolate discs, I just used plain old semi-sweet chocolate chips!

Start by sifting the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl, set aside.

Using a stand mixer, cream the butter and both sugars together until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in the eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each one. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Press a piece of plastic wrap right down over the top of the dough and stash it in the fridge for at least 24 hours, up to 72 hours.

When you are ready to bake the cookies, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookies sheet with a silpat mat.
Scoop large tablespoons full of the dough onto the cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, until just set and golden brown on the edges. 

Cool cookies completely on a wire rack.


Now, I think that you really can’t go wrong with any chocolate chip cookie. I mean for real people, have you ever had a bad one??
But these, well there is something special about these cookies. I can’t even really explain it, they are light but dense, crispy and chewy, they have a cookie dough like quality without being doughy.
They are insanely good. I had a few people try them and they all agreed, they are the perfect chocolate chip cookie.
My in house taste tester says if I never make any other recipe but this one he will be happy! Best cookie ever, he exclaimed!


So there you have it, I think this one is the winner!
Give them a try and let me know what you think!!

Jen

 Recipe from My Baking Addiction via The New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment