Wednesday, June 15, 2011

America’s Test Kitchen Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have been searching for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for a long time. I have narrowed it down to 3… this is one of them!

I plan to make the other 2 in the near future as well and do a comparison. I had a few people taste these and I will get them to taste the others as well and see if I can get a clear winner.

These are super tasty, HUGE cookies, with a nutty buttery flavor. Crisp on the outside and super soft and chewy on the inside. YUM!

 Here is what you need,
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
14 tbsp of butter (1 ¾ sticks)
½ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks
¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional) I didn’t use them!

Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 cookies sheets with silpat mats or parchment paper.
Whisk baking soda and soda together in a medium bowl, set aside.

Heat 10 tablespoons of butter in a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat. Do not use a non-stick pan!! Cook until butter is melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has a nutty aroma, 1-3 minutes. Remove from heat and using a heat proof spatula transfer brown butter to a large heatproof bowl. Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into the hot butter until completely melted.
Add both sugars, salt and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining. Let mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth and shiny. Using a rubber spatula stir in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if using, giving dough a final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tbsp. Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. 8 balls per sheet. If your oven is tiny like mine and you have small sheet pans you might need to use 3 pans!
Bake cookies 1 time at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centres are soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.

These are so good! I can’t imagine the other recipes being any better than this but I guess I will find out!

Jen

Recipe from America's Test Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe! I wish ATK didn't make you pay to get most of the recipes on their site - I want them all!!! Thank you, my mouth is now watering!

    ReplyDelete