Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mushroom Swiss Burgers with “Wanna Be” Triple O Sauce


One of my favorite places to get a burger is White Spot. They have this Monty Mushroom Swiss Burger that I get every single time I go there.


I think the real reason I love this burger is the sauce. White Spot has a secret sauce they call Triple O Sauce, I want to marry this sauce it is so good!


I decided to try making it at home. I have to say it was close but not quite right. Don’t get me wrong this sauce was amazing, I even used it as a dip for my homemade fries, but I will have to keep tweaking to see if I can get the real Triple O Sauce.

What you need,

1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. milk
1 ½ tsp. honey
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne
½ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. ketchup
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Let it chill in the fridge for an hour or more to give the flavors a change to mingle!

To assemble, grill up your burgers top with some lovely Swiss cheese.

Sauté up some sliced white button mushrooms in a little butter. Cook them until they are nice and cooked down, you can season them with a little salt and pepper and I like a little dash of soy sauce, I find it really brings out the mushroom flavor.

Toast your buns by buttering both sides and cooking face down in a skillet until nicely browned and crisp.

Put a good amount of the “wanna be” Triple O Sauce on the bottom bun and some red hamburger relish on the top bun.


Lay on the burger with melty Swiss, then some sautéed mushrooms. Top with crisp iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced tomatoes and a pickle if you like.


Get a couple of napkins and stuff this amazing burger in your face! 


If anyone out there has any insider info on what is really in Triple O Sauce, let me know!

Jen

14 comments:

  1. I am totally making this fake-out triple O sauce. The husband loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative of you to figure this out! I love that sauce too!! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work at White Spot, and while I cannot tell you what *is* in the Triple O Sauce, as it's a trade secret and even we don't know the list of various spices included, I can tell you that I have read the ingredient list very carefully and there is not any tomato (ketchup) in it. I'm allergic to tomatoes and I can eat the Triple O Mayo. Trust me, if there were tomatoes in it, I would know, as it is very hard to work there and to resist a handful of fries dipped in Triple O and I get very itchy when I eat even the smallest amount of tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  4. taste buds say IITTTSS OVER 9000!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are two different and has been for as long as I can remember back in 1953. And yes there is tomato in it as they used to wash out the ketchup bottles with vinegar and also the pickle relish bowls...( there were no relish dispensers then... I have been making it for years the simplist way I knew how but after they published the " White Spot" Cookbook all the hamburger relish disappeared off the shelves....Bicks just stopped making it .... I wonder why you say... figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not ketchup.....it's Heinz Chili sauce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monty is short for Monterey Jack cheese. There is no Swiss in this burger. Monty Mushroom. Thx jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, so let’s get something straight....there is no such thing as triple O sauce. There are two sauces, one mayonnaise, one relish. The triple O stands for triple the condiments on the burger, that’s it, no matter what the servers tell you it is not so. I have been going to the White Spot for over 50 years. Check out the national Post article on White Spot mail and you’ll see the history of what triple O means. I have the relish recipe, and I have a copy of the recipe given to my brother by one of the cooks at the White Spot more than 50 years ago. I was excited to get it but when I read it it made more quantity and I could hardly imagine so I filed it away and I can’t find it now. One day I will and I’ll share it with everyone but that means a lot of conversion and it makes my brain bleed to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will share it one day when you find it. I am one of the White Spots biggest fans and it’s something I have always wanted to get my hands on.

      Delete
  9. First time I was at the White Spot was in 1977 and my buddy advised me, "The 'O' sauce is delicious and I always ask for triple 'O' sauce". Yum, fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I first ate at the original White Spot in 1950. I knew Nat Bailey. I was a toddler. He did not give me the recipe. You have left out the red relish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AND your vinegar is redundant. There is already vinegar in both the mayonnaise and the ketchup, which is, also, full of sugar. There is no ketchup in the sauce! Red relish is made of tomatoes, so it, too, would be redundant. It is unlikely today's Triple-O (which I think is a load of advertising bull) is the same as when I dined there 73 years ago; probably, not even in the 60s and 70s. What makes the burgers singular is the thin-ness, char-broiled-ness and the (still?) greased buns, not the bullshit "secret" sauce; as well as the AWFUL pickle slice on top. It is my subjective opinion that todays' White Spot is run by corporate a-holes manipulating suckers with sharpie ad agencies (sort of like the Empress Hotel).

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They've opened a couple of Triple-O's in Mississauga, but who the hell wants to travel out to that desolate wasteland? They haven't the guts (they're Canadian) for central Toronto, or know damned well there are already much better choices here.

    ReplyDelete