Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Slow Cooker Baked Apples



Both my in house taste tester and I love anything that has cinnamon and apple in it! I think he would eat a can of apple pie filling with a spoon if I let him.


My mom used to make us baked apples for dessert sometimes. They were really simple, some brown sugar a little cinnamon and a pat of butter, and then she cooked them in the microwave. I loved them!


I decided to make a kicked up version. It turned out amazing! So much flavor and the apples were soft but still had some texture. A little vanilla frozen yogurt on top and it was the perfect dessert.


What you need,
(For 2 apples, just double as needed)

2 Gala apples (or whatever firm apple you like)
2 tbsp. butter, softened
2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
3 tbsp. quick cooking oats
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground all spice
1/8 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
2 tbsp. dried cranberries (you could use raisins if you like)
½ cup apple juice

In a bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, oats and spices. Use a fork or your fingers to combine into coarse crumbs. Add the cranberries and mix to combine.

Core the apples leaving a little at the bottom so your filling doesn’t fall out.  Pack half the filling into each apple, its OK to pile it high on top, it will cook down.

Place the filled apples into your slow cooker. Pour the apple juice around the apples.

Bake on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours, until the apples are soft but still hold their shape.

Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, frozen yogurt or a drizzle of heavy cream.


Seriously these apples are to die for. My in house taste tester said he would take one over a piece of apple pie any day!

It would be such a great dessert for Thanksgiving, you can prep in advance and the slow cooker does all the work for you. 

Enjoy!

Jen

5 comments:

  1. Oh how perfectly yummy!!! One of my all time favourites!! This looks so good I just might have to make them for lunch! It's so darn cold here, your choice of recipe couldn't have come at a better time than this for our house!! Thank you, as always, for sharing your inspiration with us through your blog. It is most definitely one of my most guilty pleasures ♥️Cannot wait to try this new method. (Your photo alone has me drooling)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen: Would using different apples at the same time cause issues? If they're both similar in firmness it shouldn't matter right? I cannot wait to make these. Baking apples just smell SO good. They fill up the entire house with their delicious aroma. They smell like home. Like we're little girls again, in the kitchen with Mom. You TOTALY nailed it with this one (in my opinion anyway, lol). ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you could use any variety of apple you like! Just adjust the cooking time, if you use a softer apple. Let me know how you like them!!

    ReplyDelete