Sunday, January 14, 2018

Zucchini Noodles with Tomatoes, Garlic & Basil


I finally got a spiralizer! I have wanted one for a long time but could never really justify buying one. 
But we had a Christmas dinner at work and did a dirty Santa gift exchange, and I stole this lovely little spiralizer from someone else! I love those gift exchanges!

Anyway, I got it home and couldn’t wait to try it, of course zucchini was first up.
The spiralizer worked great! It makes such a satisfying bunch of curly crunchy noodles.
I decided to do something simple with them as my first attempt. 
It turned out amazing!



What you need,

1 medium zucchini, spiralized
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 cups tiny tomatoes, halved
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. chili flakes
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
Parmesan cheese for serving
In a medium non-stick sauté pan heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the tomatoes until they start to soften up. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
Season with salt, pepper and chili flake. Smash a few of the tomatoes to get a sauce thing happening. 
Add the zucchini noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes at most! They don’t take long, and you don’t want them to be soggy.
Stir in the basil and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Top with Parmesan cheese just before serving.
That is, it, that is how easy it is. The whole process took under 20 minutes.  You can even spiralize the zucchini in advance, just put it in a zip top bag with a paper towel. It will be good like that for up to a day.


Now despite this being delicious, it is NOT pasta! It won’t ever be pasta. It is good, don’t get me wrong but it is never going to replace pasta for me. But I can see myself using the spiralizer a lot.
I want to do curly fries next for sure!
Then the possibilities are endless, sweet potato fries, beet salads, cucumber salads, carrots, butternut squash so many pretty spirals!
If you haven’t tried zucchini noodles give them a go! They really are simple and tasty and very healthy!

Enjoy!


Jen

1 comment:

  1. Super cool! So glad you got one! I’d love to try that!

    ReplyDelete