Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fish Tacos

I am new to the Fish Taco band wagon. I had heard about how amazing they were for a long time before I got brave enough to try them. I am so very glad I did. They are AWESOME! I am kind of addicted to them now.
There are a million versions but this one makes me the happiest so far.
A spicy white sauce, crispy flaky fish, a simple slaw.... oh man!

The sauce is a crucial element. My in house taste tester eats it on everything, pizza, chips, veggies I am sure he would drink it with a straw if he could.
Here is what you need,
1/2 cup plain Greek style yogurt
1/2 cup mayo
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced finely
1 tsp capers, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt/pepper to taste
To make the sauce stir all the ingredients together in a bowl. I like to make mine earlier in the day or the day before, this allows the flavors to really combine.

You will also need,
2-3 fillets of any firm white fish, I used tilapia this time, I have used mahi mahi and walleye.
2 tbsp. flour
salt/pepper

1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
1 1/2 tbsp. cider vinegar
salt/pepper to taste
This is for the slaw. Shred the cabbage on a box grater and toss with the cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Stash in the fridge until you are ready to serve.

1 package of small corn tortillas
salsa if desired for topping

I pan fry the fish. Just heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Dry the fish fillets with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Dredge lightly in the flour, tap off any excess. Place the fish in the hot pan and cook a few minutes per side until browned and cooked through.

While the fish is cooking warm the corn tortillas in a 325 degree oven. Wrap a stack of tortillas in some foil and toss in the oven for 5 minutes, then flip the whole pack over for 5 more minutes.

OK now everything is ready,
Put a warm tortilla on your plate,
Add a healthy amount of the sauce, I love it, so I add lots!
Top with a some of the flaked fish fillets,
Add the cabbage slaw, and if you wanted salsa. I usually do add the salsa I just didn't have any this day! oops!
Wrap up and stuff in your mouth.
After about 3 your plate will look like this,
Your taste buds and your tummy with be very happy!
You will be making these once a week! Like I do!
YUM!

Jen

2 comments:

  1. the sauce looks delicious, don't know how drinkable it would be through a straw.

    I became addicted to fish tacos while in Cabo for Christmas, will be making these for sure.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic, I've never made my own before! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete