Sunday, September 25, 2011

Apfelkuchen

The fall brings so many delicious kinds of apples. I bought these Gala and Spartan apples at the farmer’s market the other day. They are so crisp and juicy, just perfect.


I decided to make one of my favourite apple desserts, Apfelkuchen. It is German, I think… I am not sure where this recipe came from, my mom used to make it.


I love this dessert. It is so easy and it tastes like heaven.
A light moist cake with fresh apples on top, baked to perfection, with a crispy sugar crust on top.


It has very few ingredients but man it tastes like it has a million.

What you need,

 
1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
6-7 apples, peeled and sliced
¼ cup of sugar for sprinkling

First heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line a small sheet pan with parchment paper. Spray with non stick spray.

In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together. Blend in the eggs and stir well. Add the flour and baking powder. Mix until a stiff dough forms, add the milk slowly and stir until a heavy creamy batter forms. Spread the batter on the prepared sheet pan.

Top the batter with the sliced apples. Place them tightly together, try not to leave any gaps. More apples are always better.


Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

During the last 10 minutes of baking sprinkle the top of the cake with the ¼ cup of sugar and finish baking.


It is so good on its own, but I always like it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!


Too bad I didn’t have any…
Oh well,l guess I will just have to make it again!!

Enjoy!

Jen






No comments:

Post a Comment