Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dill Pickles

I grew up with both my mom and dad spending a lot of time in the kitchen. They both did a lot of canning in the summer, fruits, relish and my favourite, dill pickles.
I love them!!

I went to the farmers market and bought a 5lb bag of dilling cucumbers and a couple big bunches of dill. Then I got some canning jars from Canadian Tire and went to town!


What you need,


Dilling cucumbers (I used a 5lb bag)
Dill
Garlic (about 3 cloves per jar)

Start by washing all of those little cucumbers, fun stuff!


Stuff each jar with as many cucumbers as you can get in, a couple big sprigs of dill and about 3 cloves of garlic.

.
For the brine,
This recipe is enough for about 3 quarts. I tripled it, I had 7 quarts.
¼ cup pickling salt
2 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
Boil all the ingredients together in a large pot.

Pour the hot brine into each jar until it they are right full, to the very brim.
Put the lids on very tightly.
The jars will seal within a couple hours.
If they don’t seal for some reason you can store the jar in the fridge, they will be fine.


Now the hard part, you have wait to open a jar until Christmas! They need time to pickle! Dad says you can open a jar at thanksgiving if you want, but they will be better if you wait!
 
Now I have the canning bug, I want to do more! Any ideas what I should try??

Jen

3 comments:

  1. They look great JennyB!! I wish i was there to taste them!! Nothing like the smell of pickling to make you feel like a kid in the kitchen at home again!! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what? You have to wait until christmas!?!?!? I wouldn't be able to deal. All those delicious half-pickles staring at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, girl! You did a lot of them. I vote for trying some jam next. I adore homemade jams. I haven't made a single jar yet this year. I'm going to be incredibly sad when I use the last little bit of my stash from last year!

    ReplyDelete