Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Homemade Baked Tater Tots


I love Tater Tots! I am not ashamed, they are just so darned tasty.


When I saw a bunch of recipes floating around the Internet for a homemade baked version I knew I had to give them a try.

Let me just say they are a lot more work than the good old frozen ones, but man they good!


What you need,

4 large Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
¼ cup milk
1 cup flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups salted potato chips, crushed
Seasoning salt and Pepper to taste

Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until barely fork tender. It will probably take about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.
Gradually add the milk and mash the potatoes until mashed but with a few small lumps. You also want it to be a little dry so don’t overdo it with the milk.

Leave the potatoes in the pot until they are cool enough to handle. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Using a scant tablespoon of potatoes roll into a ball then shape them into a tot shape. Place the shaped tots on the parchment lined baking sheet.
I put them in the fridge for an hour to chill; this really helped them stay together.

When you are ready to cook them heat your oven to 400 degrees.

Put the flour in a shallow dish and season with seasoning salt and pepper.
In a separate dish whisk the eggs and season them with salt and pepper.
In a third dish place the finely crushed potato chips.
Dredge the tots in the flour, tapping off the excess. Dip each top in the egg and then roll in the chips to coat.
Place the tots on a greased baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until brown and crispy.

I turned my tots over about halfway through so both sides browned up.


These tots tasted just like the store bought ones. They were so good!
Totally worth the effort!

Jen

1 comment:

  1. Okay, whoah alot of work, but yummmmmm!!! So do you think you could make different flavours if you used different flavored chips or would the taste get drowned out do you think? Hmmmmm. Okay I don't want to do this all by myself so come here and do it for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete