Sunday, April 27, 2014

BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad

I am so excited that it is spring! I love so many things about this time of year, the flowers blooming, the grass turning green the birds tweeting, but mostly I love firing up the BBQ!


We have been trying to eat more salad over here. To make it more exciting I grilled up some chicken and tossed it on top.

What an amazing dinner, fresh and light but totally filling. I was trying to figure out what to serve on the side and a plain old piece of bread didn’t seem right. My sister suggested a simple cheese quesadilla. It was perfection! What a great side, I think my in house taste tester liked it more than the salad!


What you need,

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper
¼ cup of your favourite BBQ sauce + more for topping

6 cups of leaf or romaine lettuce, chopped
½ cup corn (I used frozen but if you can find fresh grill it up and cut it off the cob. That is what I wanted to do but no corn here yet!)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 small can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cucumber, chopped
½ cup bell pepper, I used yellow but whatever color you like
¼ cup sliced red onion
1 cup shredded Cheddar or Jack cheese
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
Ranch Dressing (I love Renee’s Buttermilk Ranch but whatever you like is fine)

Heat your BBQ to medium high heat. Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and season well on both sides with salt and pepper.

Grill the chicken on each side for about 5-7 minutes until it is cooked through. Baste the chicken with the BBQ sauce when you flip it until it is well coated. Remove it from the grill and set it aside for 5 minutes before cutting it into bite sized pieces.

In a large bowl combine the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, black beans, cucumber, bell pepper, onion and cheese.
Dress the salad with the ranch dressing and toss to coat.

Pile some salad on your plate, top with some of the chicken and a few of the crushed tortilla chips. Drizzle with a little more bbq sauce if you like.

Serve with a couple wedges of a cheese quesadilla and a little salsa and sour cream.

What a wonderful spring dinner. I think we will be eating this meal a lot this summer! LOVED IT!

Enjoy

Jen

Recipe inspired by Iowa Girl Eats



1 comment:

  1. Well cheese vs salad, it's an obvious win! Actually the salad looks delish!

    ReplyDelete