Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Roasted Tomato Bruschetta


I couldn’t decide what to do with these lovely little tomatoes I got from the farmer's market.


I love the flavor of tomatoes when they are roasted, so I decided to roast a bunch of these little cuties and make some simple bruschetta.

 
It made a lovely lunch in between baking and doing laundry!

What you need,

1 pint of tiny tomatoes, any kind you like
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 large clove of garlic, peeled
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
1 baguette

Heat your oven to 400 degrees. Toss your tomatoes with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Place them on a sheet pan and roast for 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes have popped open and the flavors concentrate.
Remove them from the oven and place in a bowl. Turn your oven to broiler. Cut your baguette into pieces, and toast both sides until well browned and crispy. Remove the bread from the oven and rub one side with the clove of raw garlic.
Chop the basil and toss with the tomatoes. Mash with a fork a little to break up all the tomatoes.
Pile the roasted tomatoes on the garlic side of the toasted bread. 


So simple and delicious. The tomatoes are sweet and soft but have a nice acidity to them. Rubbing the bread with the garlic gives it just a little hint of flavor, subtle but perfect!

Jen



2 comments:

  1. This is one of my most fav things in the world, i've just never had the guts to try and make it myself. You've inspired me to give it a try! There are lots of tomatoes ripening out in the garden so I'm going to give it a go!! Another recipe i am drooling over:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I like that you roasted your tomatoes, Jen. I have bruschetta on my list for this weekend. I just need to actually make a baguette that turns out looking like a baguette! That darn bread has been torturing me for weeks.

    ReplyDelete