Sunday, November 27, 2011

Peanut Butter Granola

This is another breakfast idea for my sister! She was asking for easy, quick, portable ideas for breakfasts. I have never made my own granola before, this is delicious! It is easy to put a few spoonful's in a baggie and grab a yogurt and you are good to go!

DSC_8512
I have been loving this Greek yogurt with honey, it is the perfect sweetness! So creamy!

DSC_8518
Here is what you need,

DSC_8498
¼ cup canola oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ cup peanut butter
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 cups old fashioned oats
¼ cup flax seeds
½ cup dry roasted peanuts
½ cup sliced almonds
½ cup sunflower seeds
2/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.
In a pot over medium heat bring the oil, maple syrup, peanut butter, salt and cinnamon to a simmer. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes.

Meanwhile in a large bowl combine everything else EXCEPT the chocolate chips! I accidently added them and they melted. So don’t do that, wait!
Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oats/nuts and stir well to coat.
Spread out mixture on a lined baking sheet. You may need to use 2 sheets. Just make sure it is in a single layer. Cook stirring often for about 30-35 minutes. Watch it closely so it doesn’t burn. I would suggest that you do it on the upper 2 racks, not right on the bottom!

Let the granola cool completely before adding in the chocolate!!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month. 

DSC_8515
This is very tasty and just a few spoonful's’ on some yogurt is surprisingly filling.

DSC_8517
Go ahead and add whatever nuts/seeds you like. I am sure almond butter would work in place of the peanut butter if you prefer.

Jen

recipe adapted from Eat Live Run

2 comments:

  1. I've never made homemade granola before, but now I kind of want to! Great tip about adding the chocolate later...I definitely would have been impatient and added it right away.

    ReplyDelete