Sunday, July 29, 2012

Snickerdoodles


I can’t believe that I have never made Snickerdoodle cookies before. I don’t know how that is even possible… oh well, now that I have I know I will be doing it often. They are soooo good.


I love that they are tender and chewy inside and super crisp on the outside.
They have a bit of a tangy flavor from the cream of tartar but the cinnamon sugar balances it out perfectly. 


I can see these going on the Christmas cookie list; they just taste like the holidays.

What you need,

2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats; put them in the freezer to chill.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.

In a larger bowl cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in the eggs 1 at a time and beat well after each one. Stir in the vanilla.

Gradually stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture on low speed until the flour is all blended in.

Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile in a small bowl combine the 3 tablespoons of sugar and the 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, stir to blend.

Scoop 1 inch balls on dough and roll them gently into the cinnamon sugar. Place them on the chilled pans and bake for 10 minutes.

Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Be sure to chill your pans and the dough in between batches.

Store in an airtight container for up to a week, not like they will last that long!


I loved these cookies, so did my in house taste tester, anything with cinnamon is a thumbs up for him!

If you are a freak like me and have never made Snickerdoodles, get on it!! You are missing out.

Jen

2 comments:

  1. Never really knew what they were! But I love anything with cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, the top picture is absolutely stunning. These cookies look major.

    ReplyDelete