Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Dad!



Hey there, feels like I have been a very bad blogger as of late.

I have to say that the last 2 weeks of 2014 and the first week of 2015 kicked my butt… My Dad ended up in the hospital on Christmas Eve with a life threatening illness. We all went in to survival mode and did what needed to be done. Thankfully he is doing much better and I think he is on the mend, but we were all VERY concerned. Needless to say the last few weeks have been a blur. I am only just coming out of the haze now.

My Dad is one of the most important people in my life, we have a very close relationship and I am so grateful he is doing so well.

Dad is a huge part of the reason that I started this blog. He cooked for us all the time when we were growing up. He is a great cook and I have learned so much from him over the years.

I thought in honour of the Stan I would share a few of his signature dishes. These things have his influence all over them, I can’t make them and eat them without thinking of him!

First up my favourite breakfast of all time! Fried Red Tomatoes on Toast. We ate this for breakfast at least once or twice a week all summer when I was growing up. We would go out and pick a bowl of tomatoes while my Dad fried up a big pan of bacon, then we would toss in all the beautiful tomato slices and cook them until they were soft and delicious! Pile all of that up on some crispy toast and you have heaven on a plate‼


Steak Pie! My Dad is a hunter; we always had venison in the freezer, always! One of the families favourites was his Steak Pie! It is just a classic. Writing this is making me crave one right now!


Porcupine Meatballs! When I was driving my Dad home from Calgary to Regina after his release from the hospital we were discussing food, as we often do! He was listing all the things he felt like eating after all that hospital food. Porcupine Meatballs topped his list. So once we got home and settled we whipped up a huge batch, made from Moose meat I might add. They were so scrumptious! Dad loved them and he got to eat the left overs for a few days after I had to leave!


Stan’s Pasta, or as he used to call it Burger Shlaka! This simple pasta is fantastic. We have been eating this dish as long as I can remember!
It is one of my in house taste testers favourite now too!


For dessert 2 things really come to mind when I think of my dad, the first is Bachelor Button Cookies, soft cakey cookies with a sweet date filling. My Grandma Clarke used to make them for my Dad whenever he asked her to. The rest of us would try to get her to make them but she would only make them for my Dad. They are wonderful, if you have never made them I suggest you do!


And of course the classic holiday treat OACB’s (Only at Christmas Brownies). From the time I could stand on a stool and see the top of the counter I remember helping my Dad make these yummy treats. I started by breaking up the graham crackers then after a few years and I was old enough to use a knife I would cut the cherries, then I finally got the honor of stirring the chocolate mixture, it was a big step and remember feeling really proud that I finally got to do it. We even have a special pot and spoon that always have to be used when making OACB’s!
Luckily he had whipped up a batch before Christmas and he still had some in the freezer when I got to his house. They didn’t last long once I found them!


Thank you Dad for being such a wonderful influence on my life, not just in the kitchen but for everything!
I can’t even express the relief I have knowing that you are on the mend. Love you!


Jen

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! What a great tribute to the Stan. I can only imagine how stressful and exhausting the last few weeks have been, but I'm so glad that he's doing better! You're lucky to have him, and he's lucky to have yo as a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️❤️❤️
    Perfect post. We were lucky girls to have him so involved growing up & are so lucky to have him still. Thanks for bringing him home. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete