Sunday, February 1, 2015

Cheesy Cauliflower Soup



Winter… UHHHGGG! I am just not a winter girl. I don’t like snow, I don’t like cold and I REALLY don’t like RAIN‼ Man it has been raining here the last couple weeks, too much rain!


I needed a dinner that would warm me up like a cozy blanket. This Cheesy Cauliflower Soup was just the perfect thing. I love cauliflower and I really love it with cheese sauce, so this soup is perfect for me!


It is creamy and cheesy and rich but a little shake of hot sauce really cuts the richness and adds a great flavor!

What you need,

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets (about 5-6 cups)
1 medium carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
¼ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tbsp. olive oil
2½ -3 cups of chicken stock, low sodium
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups 2% milk
1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1-2 tsp. hot pepper sauce

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the cauliflower, carrot, celery, onion to the pot and saute for 4-5 minutes until the veggies just start to soften.  Add the stock to the pot to just cover the veggies. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. The liquid will barely cover the veggies. I used an immersion blender at this point to blend the soup up a little. I didn’t want it super smooth so I left it a little chunky, but you could make it super smooth if you want to.

In another large saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Whisk the milk in slowly. Bring to a boil over medium heat; Cook and stir the mixture for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce.
Stir into the cauliflower mixture until combined.

Serve the soup with a little extra hot sauce if you dare!
I also couldn’t resist making THESE amazing biscuits to go with it!


This soup was absolutely fabulous! Such great flavor and texture, I love love loved it!

I will be making this soup again for sure! It was simple and delicious, what more could you ask for.

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe slightly adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything



1 comment:

  1. https://mytinyoven.blogspot.com/2014/06/chocolate-peanut-butter-banana.html?showComment=1634472943849#c1759940307879469130

    ReplyDelete