Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake



For years I have been stock piling Meyer lemon recipes. I haven’t made any of them because I was never able to find Meyer lemons, crazy right?

So imagine my excitement when I was in Western Foods the other day and they had 2 bags of Meyer lemons for 4$. I swear I jumped up and down a little bit. Yes, I am a food nerd!



Aren’t they beautiful!

I ran home with my Meyer lemons and immediately whipped up this coffee cake. The cake has a moist tender crumb that is sweet and tart and the topping is crumbly and awesome.



What you need,

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ ts.p salt
1/3 cup butter, at room temperature (I used salted so I omitted the salt)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp. Meyer lemon zest
½ cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
½ cup buttermilk

For the topping,
3 tbsp. butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. Meyer lemon zest
1 tbsp. Meyer lemon juice

Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and lemon zest until well incorporated.

Stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/3 of the lemon juice, then 1/3 of the buttermilk. Continue adding 1/3 of the ingredients at a time until they are all mixed in. Don’t over mix the batter or the cake will be tough.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.

To make the topping combine the sugar, flour, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the batter to cover.

Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and the sides of the cake are lightly browned.

Cool on a wire rack. Serve by itself or with a dollop of whip cream, even some vanilla frozen yogurt would be lovely.



I sure hope the Western Foods keeps getting the Meyer lemons because I still have a huge stack of recipes I want to make.

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe slightly adapted from Baking Bites

2 comments: