Monday, June 17, 2013

A Lemon Jelly Roll for My 500th Post!



I can’t believe that this is my 500th post!



It feels like yesterday that I finally got up enough nerve to log onto Blogger and  start writing.

I have come a long way since that first post. Man, those pictures were terrible!

I decided to do something special for this milestone. I know that a simple Lemon Jelly Roll doesn’t seem like a big deal, but it is for me.

I have always loved Lemon Jelly Rolls and when I was 14 or 15 years old I decided I was going to make one. Not a great idea considering I could barely turn on the oven and open a box of fish sticks.


Needless to say it didn’t turn out well, it was an epic fail! The jelly didn’t set and ended up on the plate the roll was on, the cake was dry and crackly. It was terrible!

I didn’t step foot into a kitchen for years after that.

I have learned a lot about cooking/baking since I started this blog, 500 posts ago, so I figured I would give my jelly roll nemesis another try!

Luckily this time it all worked out just fine.



What you need,

For the cake,

3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp. cold water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt

For the filling,

1 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
¾ cup water
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Line a baking sheet or jelly roll pan with waxed paper and grease well with non-stick spray.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment beat the eggs until light and pale in color, about 3 minutes. Gradually add the sugar and beat for another 2 minutes until the mixture thickens and becomes a lemony color. Stir in the water until combined.

In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Using a spatula fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.

Spread the batter evenly on the prepared pan and bake for 12-14 minutes until the cake springs back when touched, be sure not to over bake.

Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Meanwhile sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar. Carefully invert the cake onto the towel and peel off the wax paper.

Gently roll the cake up in the towel and let it cool completely on the rack.

While the cake is cooling make the filling.

In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, flour, egg, water and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Once the cake has cooled, carefully unroll it from the towel. Spread the lemon filling all over the cake, staying about 1 inch away from the edges. Roll the cake back up and place seam side down on a plate. Let the cake rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set.

Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.


This Lemon Jelly Roll tastes just like the ones I used to eat as a kid. The cake is soft and moist, and the lemon filling has the perfect tartness.

I am so very thankful for all of you who take time out of your busy lives to read my posts. I know there are a ton of food blogs out there to choose from and it really means a lot that you choose to visit me!

I love doing this little blog; it has filled my heart with so much joy!

I am really looking forward to my next 500 posts!


Jen

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yummy, a lemon jelly roll :) One of my all time favourite things. Can't wait to try making this. It will likely be an epic fail, lol, but hey, as long as at least try, that's a good thing. Your blog has got me in the kitchen probably 300 times out of your 500 posts. More! Cause many recipes have been remade over and over again. We count many of your 'Tiny Little Oven's' creations as favourites in our house. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! Great job Jen!! I LOVE YOUR BLOG. You have a great talent. Thank you for sharing it with us & with the whole world. It takes not just culinary talent, but photographic knowledge & skill, writing skill & a sense of humor, good taste & a curiosity for trying new things, and courage and dedication. You should be very VERY proud. I sure as heck am!! <3 !!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jen! We love seeing everything you make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, congratulations! Can't believe that you have done 500 posts already! Amazing! And congratulations on conquering your fear of the lemon roll epic fail!!

    ReplyDelete