Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Summer Cocktail – Grandma Clarke’s Rhubarb Drink



I was going through an old recipe box the other day when I came across this,



I love finding old recipes in my Grandma’s handwriting. 
We lost her 16 years ago and I miss her every day, seeing her writing makes me feel closer to her.



I love rhubarb and I love drinks so I knew right this was going to be my next Friday Summer Cocktail.



What you need,

4 cups rhubarb, cut up
4 cups water
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice

1 oz. vodka
Ginger ale
Ice

Start by combining the rhubarb and water in a large pot. Cook over medium high heat until it starts to boil. Turn down the heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb is softened and most of the color has come out.

Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve.

Stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until cold.

To assemble a cocktail add 3-4 ice cubes to a tall glass, pour in the vodka. Add enough of the rhubarb drink to fill the glass to ¾ full, top with ginger ale. Stir to combine.

Enjoy!



This drink is so easy and so perfect for a hot summer day!
It has a light but distinct rhubarb flavour with just the right amount of sweetness.

It is really lovely.

Thanks Grandma!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jen

1 comment:

  1. That's a really special find. Can't wait to try one on your balcony!

    ReplyDelete