Saturday, June 22, 2013

Butter Tart Squares



One of my favourite Christmas treats is a butter tart! Love ‘em!



The last time I was at home in Regina I was going through all my Dad’s old recipe boxes. I opened up an old folded piece of paper and found this Butter Tart Square recipe.



YES Please! Now I don’t have to wait until Christmas for a butter tart!


What you need,

For the crust,

1 cup all-purpose flour

¼ cup granulated sugar

½ cup softened butter

In a bowl whisk together the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter using a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.

Press the dough into a well-greased 9x9 inch pan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, until set and just starting to turn golden brown.



For the filling,

2 tbsp. butter, melted

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup packed brown sugar

½ tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. vanilla

¼ tsp. salt

1 cup raisins

In a large bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the filling until well combined.

Pour over the baked crust and spread into an even layer.

Bake again at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the filling is almost set.

Remove from the oven and let the squares cool completely on a wire rack.

Cut into pieces and scarf!


These bars are delicious and super easy!

I put mine in the freezer because I love me a frozen butter tart! These squares taste JUST like my mom’s butter tarts.

I am so glad I unfolded that piece of paper!

Enjoy!


Jen

1 comment:

  1. These look great! Maybe I'll just make these instead of my usual butter tart recipe next Christmas so that I don't have the same tart-baking fiasco that I had last year!!

    ReplyDelete