Sunday, March 15, 2015

Homemade Sheet Pan Pizza



I love pizza, any pizza really. I could easily eat it once a week, or twice even!

One of my favourite versions is homemade! We used to have it as kids, and my parents always made it on a sheet pan. The only time I ever had a round pizza was if we ordered in.

This recipe has adapted a lot over the years. My sister Kate really nailed down how to get a perfectly light and crisp crust! I always always always use her method and my pizza is perfect every single time!

What you need,

1 cup warm water
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. instant yeast (or one package)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
2½ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. Italian seasoning, optional

In a large bowl, stir together the warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast on the top and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.

Add the vegetable oil and salt, give it a quick stir.  Add the flour and Italian seasoning if you are using it and stir to combine, I use a fork until it is just mixed, then I use my hands. Knead the dough a few times and make a nice ball. Rub oil over the dough and in the bowl.


Place the dough in a warm place for an hour. I always heat my oven to 200 degrees then shut it off before I start making the dough. That way it will be a nice warm place for the dough to rise. The dough will double in size.


Rub oil liberally over a sheet pan, be sure to give it a good coating, don’t be afraid!  Dump the dough onto the pan and use your fingers to spread the dough out to the corners.  Now here is the secret, put the pan back in the warm oven to let the dough rise a second time for 30 minutes. It is this second rise that is going to give you a perfectly airy crisp crust!


After the second rise, gently use the tips of your fingers to make sure the dough is all the way to the edges of the pan.
Top with whatever ingredients float your boat! I tend to lean toward ham, pineapple and mushroom! Don’t skimp on the cheese‼


Heat your oven to 425 degrees‼ A hot oven is the second trick!
Bake the pizza for 10 minutes on the lowest rack. Spin the pizza around and bake for another 10 minutes until the crust is golden and crisp. 

Now I like to brown up the cheese so I turn on the broiler and move the pizza to the upper rack. I let it broil for 3-5 minutes unlit the cheese is super bubbly and starts to brown.


Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before trying to cut it. 

If there is any pizza left over cool it on a rack and store in layers between wax paper in an airtight container.


If you want to reheat your pizza my suggestion is to do it in the oven.  Heat the oven to 400, place your left over pizza on a sheet pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until hot! This way your crust stays crisp!

NOM NOM NOM‼

PIZZA‼ It is what’s for dinner, and if it’s not it should be‼

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe tricks from my lovely sister Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment