Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Mom’s Chicken Cacciatore



This used to be my FAVOURITE meal! I always asked my mom to make it for my birthday or if I was coming home for a visit.



It’s not exactly traditional Chicken Cacciatore but it is delicious all the same.



What you need,

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
1 16oz. can Hunts Italian tomato sauce
½ cup white wine (my mom’s wine always came from a box so I went out and specifically bought a box, just to be authentic!)
½ medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. seasoning salt
1 tsp. dried basil
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. granulated sugar
½ tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
½ lb. dry spaghetti noodles
Parmesan cheese for topping

Put the flour in a large zip top bag, toss the chicken in the bag and give it a good shake to coat the chicken well.

In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium high heat.
Shake off any excess flour from the chicken and cook in the hot oil for 5-6 minutes until well browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.

Reduce the heat to medium and sauté the onion and garlic until tender, about 4 minutes.  Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up all the brown bits. Then stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, hot pepper flakes, sugar and pepper. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, and then stir the chicken back into the sauce.

Meanwhile cook the spaghetti noodles according to package directions. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Toss gently to coat all the noodles in the sauce.

Serve with a little grated Parmesan cheese.


I hadn’t had this pasta in a long time. I am so glad I decided to made it, it is just so tasty. I still think it is better when my Mom makes it. 

Do you hear that Mom, it is better when you make it! That means you need to come visit and make it for me‼

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe from my Mom!

1 comment:

  1. My mom makes a pasta dish that I try to replicate but still think that hers is best!

    ReplyDelete