Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chili

My Dad always makes great chili. When I moved out on my own I had to learn to make it myself. Mine is different than his but equally as tasty, at least I think so.  Someday we might have to have a chili showdown! That would be fun! What do you say Dad? This summer maybe? We would have to get some impartial judges, anyone interested?
Here is my version.
What you will need,
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, chopped
½ green or red pepper, diced
2 small jalapeno peppers, diced
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 heaping tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Salt/pepper to taste
Shake or 2 of hot sauce to your taste
1 can of tomato soup
1 can crushed or chopped tomatoes, drained a little. I like the chili spiced ones!
2 cans of beans, i like Heinz mixed chili beans and a can of brown beans in tomato sauce. My in house taste tester isn't a huge fan of kidney beans so the can of mixed beans has some kidney beans in it but other kinds as well. I have used chick peas too. Use whatever you like best.
¾ cup frozen corn
How to,
In a large pot, heat a tbsp or so of oil and saute the onion until just softened. Add in the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain off any fat. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the garlic, celery, peppers, jalapeno and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes or so.
Add in the chili powder and cumin and stir to combine,. Add in the tomato soup and the can of chopped tomatoes.
Then stir in the beans. Let it simmer for at least 30 minutes but longer is better, I usually let it go a couple hours, the longer it simmers the more the flavors meld. Stir in the frozen corn about 15 minutes before serving.
Adjust the seasoning after it has a chance to simmer a bit. More salt or pepper or hot sauce.
Serve with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese and some warm fresh bread!
Yum!
I guarantee you that it will be even better tomorrow! Left overs rock!
And don't get me started on chili cheese fries!
Have a great week everybody.
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment