Monday, July 8, 2013

Banana Muffins (with or without chocolate chips)



I had some super ripe bananas on my counter that I needed to deal with ASAP. I didn’t want to put them in the freezer, cause well I have like 12 in there already! (I have a problem with bananas)

Anywho… I decided Banana Muffins were the way to go.



Now, I like some chocolate in my banana muffins, my in house taste tester, not so much.

So, I compromised, I made half of these awesome muffins with chocolate chips and the other half plain.



We were both very happy in the end!

What you need,

1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mashed banana (about 3 small bananas)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ cup chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, buttermilk, banana, oil and vanilla together.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.

Divide half of the batter into 6 of the muffin cups.

Stir the chocolate chips into the remaining batter. Divide the rest of the batter between the other 6 muffin cups.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until muffins are golden brown a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store the muffins in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

Also these muffins freeze really well, just wrap each cooled muffin tightly in saran wrap and toss into a large zip top bag. When you want one just pop one out of the freezer!



These muffins are wonderful with or without the chocolate chips!
They are moist and cakey, I just love them.

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe from Canadian Living Magazine

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like my house! Throw in some chocolate chips for me and leave them out for my husband!

    ReplyDelete