Saturday, March 26, 2011

6 Week Bran Muffins

I love a good Bran Muffin. My mom used to make these when we were kids. I love them warm out of the oven with a slice of Velveeta cheese, yep that’s right, Velveeta! It is so good.
This recipe is unique because you make up the batter then you can keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. Then you can pull it out on a Saturday morning and make 6 or so fresh warm muffins for breakfast! YUM!
I usually half the recipe because my fridge is as tiny as my oven. My plan was to do that today but for some reason I had an issue dividing 2 cups in half and screwed it up! Yep, screwed it up. So I ended up having to do a whole batch. I am telling you that unless you have a bowl the size of a bathtub I suggest you do half!
Look at what happened to me,
I had to divide the batter into 2 bowls before I added the dry ingredients.... awesome.
It worked out fine but what a mess!
You will need:
4 cups bran flakes cereal
2 cups all bran cereal
2 cups boiling water
1 cup butter
1 ½ cup white sugar
1 ½ cup brown sugar
4 eggs
4 cups buttermilk
¼ cup molasses
5 cups flour
2 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with non stick spray.
Boil the water and pour over the 6 cups of cereal, let it stand for 10 minutes until soft.
In a VERY large bowl cream the butter and sugars together. Add in the eggs 1 at a time until each is incorporated. Add in the buttermilk and molasses. Stir in the wet cereal mixture.
Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the raisins.
Store in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks in the fridge.
When you are ready to bake up a batch, fill the greased muffin tins ¾ way full and bake for 20-25 minutes
There is nothing nicer than waking up on a Saturday morning and baking a couple of nice warm muffins for breakfast! They are moist tasty, not to mention healthy!
Try a batch this weekend you will be impressed!
Have a great weekend everybody!
Jen

1 comment:

  1. These are amazing I use raisin bran instead of brand flakes and added extra raisins. Turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete