Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lazy Cabbage Rolls

This is a classic dinner that my mom used to make. It tastes like a cabbage roll but it only takes about 30 minutes.
It tastes so great with a fresh warm slice of bread with butter. I made a nice loaf in the bread maker to go along with.  Man I could eat this all day.Oh and by the way it makes great left overs.
What you need,
1 lb of ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bag of coleslaw mix
1 ½ cups cooked white rice
2 cans of tomato soup
½ cup ketchup
1 tbsp hot sauce (you can use more if you like it a bit spicier)
Salt and pepper to taste
What to do,
Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot over high heat. Cook the onions until just starting to get soft. Add in the ground beef and brown completely. Toss in the minced garlic, cook until just fragrant. I add some salt and pepper at this point, I usually end up adding more later as well. Add about 1 tsp of salt and ½ tsp of pepper to start.
Add in the cabbage and cook until wilted. Then add in the rice and soup, ketchup and hot sauce.
Add more seasoning if needed.
Simmer for 15 minutes.
Slather some butter on that warm fresh bread and enjoy.
Jen

4 comments:

  1. Cooked rice hey? I have always used uncooked but use the fast cook rice so that might make a difference and I make porcupine meatballs (basically same just minus cabbage).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy jenny b! One of my all time favs when I am foreced to have to use hamburger in a reciepe!! I have always used cooked rice too....uncooked in the porcupine meatballs but not in the lazy cabbage rolls! Sometime I use sour cabbage though cause I love it! The slaw mix is so good and easy though! Love this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya I always use uncooked rice for the porcupines, I guess you could for the lazy cabbage rolls too just need a little more water or something! mmm the sour cabbage would be a good idea, that is always my favorite part of a real cabbage roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay now I know, cooked in the lazy cabbage rolls, uncooked in porcupine, I guess its cause I make the porcupines. :)

    ReplyDelete