Monday, March 28, 2011

Meatballs and Meatball Subs

I made up a big batch of meatballs this weekend. They are time consuming but once you have all the stuff out and your hands are dirty I figure you may as well make a lot of them.  I love to make a whole bunch at once that way I can freeze them by the dozen or so and use them later as a super quick weeknight meal.
The night I made them I made meatball subs for dinner, so yummy!
Here is what you need,
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
(I like the combo of the 2 meats adds a really nice flavor and texture, but you could use all beef if you like!)
2 eggs
¾ cup panko or breadcrumbs
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp seasoning salt
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried chives
1 tsp dry mustard powder
Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
Mix all ingredients until just incorporated. Don't over mix it makes for tough meatballs. No my hands are not freakishly pink, I just hate touching raw meat. I am a freak that way. Sorry!
Form into balls and place on a tinfoil lined baking sheet sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
Place in oven for 10 – 12 minutes until they are brown on one side, then roll them over and cook another 8-10 minutes until the other side is browned and the meatballs are cooked through.
Remove from pan and place on cooling rack. Once they are cooled I put them back on a clean baking sheet and placed them into my freezer until they were frozen so I could pack them up.




And yes that is Bryers ice cream in my tiny freezer! Butterscotch ripple to be exact! Yum!
Now I have 3 meals worth in the freezer. I can do Spaghetti and meatballs one night, sweet and sour meatballs with veggies and rice and then meatballs in mushroom sauce with egg noodles or mashed potatoes! I love meals I don’t really have to think about.
So when I made these meatballs I simmered some of them in marinara sauce, the good old jarred stuff! Then I stuffed all those meatballs and sauce onto a lovely loaf of bread and tossed on a bunch of grated Havarti cheese and put it under the broiler for a few minutes until it was hot melted and bubbly. I ended up with this...
MMMM! These were so awesome! We ate it all!

It is a good possibility that the rest of those frozen meatballs might end up covered in sauce and cheese too!
Freezer meals are a very good thing!
Jen



 

No comments:

Post a Comment